MDP407 – Principles & Techniques of Project Management
This 3-day course provides an overview of project management concepts and principles using lecture and discussions. An integrated case study will provide students with a first-hand opportunity to practice the theories and concepts discussed in the classroom throughout the course. This course is 100% compliant with the Project Management Institute’s (PMI®) current Project Management Body of Knowledge. (PMBOK® Guide)
Who should attend
This course is primarily designed for people who have or will be assigned project management responsibilities; for project managers, project leaders or anyone performing in those roles or soon to be performing in those roles.
What you will achieve
- A clear differentiation between project, program, and subproject, identifying contrasting and related characteristics of each.
- The ability to compare and contrast project management to: strategic management, operations management, and crisis management.
- The knowledge of how to define the role of the project manager while balancing the expectations of the different project stakeholders.
- The course-long case study will provide a forum in which to develop essential management deliverables: project charters, scope statements, work breakdown structures, activity lists, duration estimates, network diagrams, and risk analysis.
- A skill assessment will enable students to gauge their level of skill in project management.
What you will learn
- The Project Management Framework – as described in PMI’s® current PMBOK® guide
- The (9) Knowledge Areas, the (5) Process Groups, and the Iterative Process Model – processes involved in project management
- Key Stakeholders – their impact on, as well as their roles in a typical project
- Types of Organizational Structures – their impact on managing projects
- Project Quality and Risk – how to account for project quality and risk as a part of the project plan
- Course Introduction
- Project Management Overview
- Initiating Process Group
- Planning Process Group I
- Planning Process Group II (Continued)
- Executing Process Group
- Monitoring and Controlling Process Group
- Closing Process Group
- Assessing project manager skills
Please contact PSI for costs, more details and to register. Costs include all course materials, coffee breaks in the morning and afternoon, lunch and training venue.